10 is a number of significance. It is the number of fingers we have – and toes. It is the basis of our numbering system, not to mention the metric system. 10 is the number of posts I have made on this blog until today. It is the time of night when I normally start to do things around the house because the kids are sleeping. I have about 10 hairs left on my head. I could list 10 more things, I am sure, but you get the point.
10 is also the age our oldest turned today. Why does that make us feel so old? We had a great day together. It's been a great weekend, really. Yesterday the boys both had soccer games, which they won. Again. After 7 games, both of their teams are undefeated this year (ok, they each have a tie). It is a new experience for us all. After soccer, we got to visit my Grandpa who is still recovering from an illness a couple of months ago. He looks great and I love talking to him.
Then the 10 year old made things interesting. We went to a friend's house to celebrate their daughter's birthday. She had a few friends over and they all had a great time playing. Except there were two people that did a little less playing, and a little more "hanging out". Our Alex was one of them, and the other was a GIRL he met there. We will call her Geneva in our story. So Geneva apparently took a liking to our son. It was weird to see. She followed him around the whole time. At cake time she made sure she got him his fork. When the other kids were playing soccer, they talked. When it was time to go, Alex said, "Now?". I replied, "that sounds like a great idea". Geneva responded, "no, it actually does not sound like a good idea". I think Alex and I need to have a little talk. He did find one weakness in her, though. She likes vanilla pudding. Thinking back on my own childhood, this is a familiar scene. Sue was a wreck, though.
Today was a good day as well. We went to church - which had an amazing, and challenging, sermon on missions. Then we came home and prepared for Alex's party. Just a small gathering of family and a couple of friends. All was going well until... Well, let's just say it involves a goal kick by Nathan, a visit to the emergency room by one of our guests, and a severely dislocated pinky. I saw the x-rays, and I do mean severely dislocated. Ick. On the upside, Alex said this was his best birthday ever. That makes me feel good. I'm sorry Geneva had to miss it.




Comments