It's Christmas Time Again

We enjoy Christmas here. We even celebrate it 4 times in order to include our whole family (including some time with just us).



However, we do not enjoy it as much as we wish we did. So much chaos and noise. So much commercialism and materialism. On Christmas day, though, I thought about how much chaos there must have been on that night so long ago. Anybody who ever witnessed a child being born knows it is not silent or calm (as much as I love that song).

Imagine having to travel to a town just so the government can take a census. You (or your fiancee, as the case may be) are pregnant because GOD Himself has brought it about and you are days away from giving birth. There is no room for you in the bustling town because so many other people are there for the same reason as you. The only place you can find to rest your head is a stable. There, not only are you surrounded by a busy town anxious about what is happening, but now you are also surrounded by animals - possibly unhappy at your hanging out in the stall next door. Then after the baby is born strangers start showing up, like shepherds excited to be there because a choir of angels told them what was happening.

I don't think Jesus or his family had a calm or quiet evening and I suppose we should not expect one either.

So, with the chaos around me (and I know those who were there will agree it was chaos), my peace and solace was in knowing that our family was together, we had a good meal, and the gifts we received and gave were in recognition of the gift that was given and received originally. The gift of Immanuel, "GOD with us". The first coming of our savior. Without this it would have been Christmas without Christ - and what does that leave you with? Shopping, bills, people pleasing, cookie baking, etc. You can do all of that other stuff the rest of the year. This is CHRISTmas.  I hope you had a good one.


Gerrit van Honthorst, Adoration of the Child (1620), Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy

Comments