My favorite Christmas songs

If you have spent a lot of time around me, you know that I truly enjoy Christmas music.  Especially around July or August of every year.  Not sure what it is, but it always hits me when I'm not thinking about it.  Can I get a witness?  I listen for a few weeks, people think I'm nuts (more so than usual), and then I'm done until December.

Not that y'all care, but I am going to tell you my favorite songs from this year.  My favorites change almost annually.  The songs listed here are not necessarily in the order of preference.

My first and second come from the same group, Casting Crowns.
1. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
The sincerity of the singer and lyrics comes through strongly to me as well as being a catchy tune.  When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be "I heard the bells on Christmas day, on Christmas day, on Christmas day in the morning..."  Wrong.  The lines were actually written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow during the Civil War.

Here are a couple of stanzas.  How can you not feel the hope coming from this song?
And in despair I bowed my head. 
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"for hate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on earth, good will to men".

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
"GOD is not dead, nor doth He sleep.
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
with peace on earth, good will to men".



2. While You Were Sleeping
You need to hear the whole song to understand the full context, but how about these words.  They don't sound very "Christmasy", but the song is about how oblivious the world has been to Jesus at different times.
United States of America
Looks like another silent night
As we're sung to sleep by philosophies
That save the trees and kill the children



Finally, my third favorite song of this season. 
3. In The First Light
It was originally done by a group called Glad, but most recently by Todd Agnew. He brings a certain intensity you cannot ignore.



The last two videos were not produced by the singers (I could not find any originals by them), but are decent productions posted on YouTube by fans of the songs.

Thank you for enjoying these songs with me.

Comments